Sunday, October 7, 2012

Reflecting upon the new beginning... Life On Wheels


The first meeting with the community is a day which marks the true beginning of every SIFE, now Enactus member's journey. 
Recollecting mine, I was looking forward to it with the nerves of a frightened kitten (I fervently hoped that I didn’t squeak!). The D-day finally dawned and my project, being Life on Wheels, there wasn’t any long journey to calm myself with. 
The rickshaw pullers were supposed to be in the college campus by 4:00pm and to my amazement the parking area was almost full by 4:10pm, the turnout was very encouraging. They were initially addressed by our Seniors, who introduced us, the oh-so-innocent Freshers………. And then we were on our own. It was SHOWTIME!
My nervousness heightened, what was I even going to say? 
I finally gathered the courage to take a peek and was greeted by a group of smiling faces, looking at us with trustful eyes. Then it struck me, these were real people with real problems, not a school project which could be finished and forgotten. And what was more overwhelming was that we were doing real work, which would have a positive impact on their lives and families. There was an instant feeling of ‘rightness’, this was where I always wanted to be.
The rickshaw bhaiyas, as people were fun and cheerful and put us at ease instantly. We got the opportunity to interact with all of them individually. They were highly amused by our lack of knowledge in Hindi numbers, to our extreme embarrassment (NOTE: a tute needs to be arranged ASAP for us illiterates). And we were surprised by their open and friendly nature, their simple approach to life. It was a very refreshing experience and there was so much to learn too.
Three hours later, we were left with completed targets and an experience which changed our lives. The very thought that we could help make a difference in anyone’s life was very stimulating. The initial anxiety was replaced by a pleasant sense of my-ness…. and from that day on, I have worked with new-found enthusiasm for my community, for my society.

- Akanksha Sinha

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Enactus, Shri Ram College of Commerce
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com